“They…presented him with…gold…incense and…myrrh.” Matthew 2:11
It is Christmas. Jesus’ birthday. But what can you possibly give to the One who only has everything, but created it all? The wise men probably asked the same question. As scholars they were astute enough to navigate thousands of miles guided by a star, influential enough to warrant an audience with King Herod, and rich enough to undertake such a long journey carrying expensive presents. But in addition to “gold…incense and…myrrh,” they gave Jesus some gifts that are priceless – note what they gave:
- Their Time. Long before his birth they had invested years researching and preparing for it – not counting the two years it took them to travel to where He was born. Do you know what? You are as close to God today as you want to be, planned to be, and took time to be. Want to get closer? Spend more time with Him.
- Their Worship. Once they found Him, “They fell down and worshiped Him” Matthew 2:11. Worship changes us profoundly because when we stand in God’s presence with an open heart and let His Spirit work in us, “We are…changed to be like him” 2 Corinthians 3:18.
- Their Hope. While those around saw only darkness these men recognized, “The Light shines in the darkness” John 1:5. And that has not changed. God’s healing love shines brightest in the darkness of our dashed dreams and broken hearts. So in the midst of your family celebrations, take time out to be with Jesus: and how about a special gift to His Work? After all, it’s His birthday.
What the Birth of Christ Represents To Us
1. His Birth Gives Us Faith To Believe In God.
Many prophets and others in the Old Testament prophesied the Birth of Christ and many other things concerning Christ the Messiah and His Church.
Isaiah 7:14 “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.”
What special meaning does the fact that the prophecies concerning the birth of Christ being fulfilled have for our lives today?
It gives us faith to believe that what God has written in His word is true. It helps us to believe in the reality of the birth of Jesus Christ and all that comes with it.
The prophets of the Old Testament prophesied many wonderful and awesome things including God's destiny and purpose for the church today as well as the eternal kingdom. If what they said about the birth of Christ came to pass, then that which has been prophesied for today and the future will also come to pass. This gives us faith to believe in all that God has for us.
2. His Birth Meant Joy Coming Into The World.
Much joy was brought into the world as a result of the birth of Christ and this joy has now entered into each one of our lives as a result of His coming into our lives.
Luke 1:14 "And you will have joy and gladness, and many will rejoice at his birth.”
John 15:11 "These things I have spoken to you, that My [joy] may remain in you, and that your joy may be full.”
Acts 2:28 “You have made known to me the ways of life; you will make me full of [joy] in Your presence.”
3. The Birth Of Jesus Meant That A Savior Was Provided.
Mark 10:45 “For even the Son of Man did not come to be served, but to serve, and to give His life a ransom for many.”
A friend once received a Christmas card that had a special significance. It went something like this:
"If our greatest need had been information, God would have sent us an educator. If our greatest need had been technology, God would have sent us a scientist. If our greatest need hand been money, God would have sent us an economist. But since our greatest need was forgiveness, God sent us a Savior."
4. His Birth Provided Hope of Eternal Life and a Way for us to Enter Heaven.
John 14:2 "In My Father's house are many mansions; if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
John 14:6 Jesus said to him, "I am the way, the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through Me.”
We celebrate the birth of Christ, Who has given to us a great hope. We can be comforted and walk in tremendous joy and peace, knowing that Christ our savior was indeed born over 2000 years ago. Therefore we have access to Him through faith.
Romans 5:1-2 “Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God.”
Romans 15:13 “Now may the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace in believing, that you may abound in hope by the power of the Holy Spirit.”
Thanks to the birth of Jesus Christ, we have the hope of eternal life and a wonderful life here on earth filled with all of the blessings that God continually bestows upon us. Let us give glory to God for all that He has given to us through the birth of Christ.