If God has called you to lead, more is required of you. Those you are called to lead have the right to expect 8 things:
- To know your character. If I follow you, will I know who you really are? Will you deal with me with integrity?
- That you will take the time to explain your vision. What is the future and where do I fit? Is there a place for me or will you simply use me?
- To never be left in isolation. Will you 'be there' for me? Will you love me? Will you care about my needs?
- To be heard. To whom will you listen? When you are busy and overloaded will I still be heard, taken seriously and appreciated?
- To be trusted. Can I take initiative without fear? Will my ideas be rewarded and encouraged or will I be regarded with suspicion and distanced?
- To be given an opportunity to grow. Will I be encouraged to be a lifelong learner? Will my gifts be increasingly identified and expressed? Will I be developed?
- To be held accountable. Will I be fairly evaluated for my performance? Will I be lovingly held to the highest standards and to God's best for my life? Will you show me how to do it better and be patient while I learn and self-correct?
- To be the object of grace. Will I be forgiven even in the face of shortcomings, inadequacies and failure? Will I be led with kindness? These are what followers have the right to expect of you - so do not let them down!